East Hartford, CT 06108
The Purchasing manager is responsible for procurement of all raw materials and supplies required for daily manufacturing operations while supporting the facilities, engineering, R&D and administrative functions as needed.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Communicates with vendors for goods and services, negotiating the best possible price, payment terms and service guarantee to ensure manufacturing operations are uninterrupted while balancing inventory targets.
- Maintains accurate vendor purchase orders and monitor them to ensure accurate pricing, freight cost, delivery dates, tracking information, etc. is documented in the ERP system in real-time.
- Partners with Quality and R&D to ensure all raw material suppliers are properly vetted and that all incoming raw materials have been certified for use in production.
- When appropriate, negotiates long-term agreements with suppliers and freight carriers at the lowest cost with quality and reliability requirements.
- Utilizes ERP system’s purchasing capabilities to build efficiencies into the purchasing process.
- Maintains supplier report cards to monitor vendor performance in conjunction with the quality and product management teams and develops new supply sources where vendors are not meeting company expectations.
- Participates in capital investment projects and actively contributes to the sourcing, pricing and procurement process. Manage the Capital Purchase Agreements with in-house legal counsel and external vendors.
- Supports the accounts payable function to address any invoice vs. purchase order variance in a timely manner.
- Establishes, implements and updates purchasing policies and ensures compliance.
- Works closely with receiving department to ensure deliveries are on time and accurate. Communicates any inconsistencies to the supplier promptly for an appropriate resolution.
- Participates in the raw material cycle count process as necessary to support the production and finance teams.
- Follows environmental and safety regulations and acts in compliance with U.S. laws.
- Complies with safety and corporate guidelines on business ethics.
- All other duties as assigned.
Education, Experience, Skills and Abilities Required for Consideration as a Candidate:
- Bachelor’s degree in supply chain management, logistics, or business administration or related field.
- Proven working experience as purchasing manager in a manufacturing environment.
- 5+ years of experience in the procurement of materials/equipment/supplies and the development and review of contracts.
- Excellent understanding of weight conversions using US Customary vs. Metric units and analyzing gross/tare relationships to manage the bulk purchases.
- 5+ years of experience managing inbound logistics via supplier trucking, 3rd party trucking, intermodal and rail deliveries. Experience importing raw materials directly from foreign suppliers is a plus.
- Familiarity with sourcing and vendor management.
- Skilled at negotiation and networking.
- Working experience of vendor management software.
- Solid judgment and sound decision making skills.